Saudi Arabia condemned on Thursday the attack that targeted the Dohuk governorate in Iraq.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement that the Kingdom affirmed its full support for the Iraqi government in combating the challenges that threaten its security, sovereignty and territorial integrity.
The deadly attack in the Zakho district in the Kurdistan region of the northern Dohuk governorate took place close to the border with Türkiye, which resulted in the killing of eight tourists and wounding more than 20 others.
Among the dead was a one-year-old, according to a statement released by the Kurdish health minister, who said the victims had all died before they could reach hospital.
According to news reports, Iraqi state media claimed that Turkish forces had been responsible for the shelling in the mountain tourist resort, a claim refuted by the Turkish government.