Arab Press

بالشعب و للشعب
Sunday, Nov 30, 2025

Families fearful as UN reduces food aid to northwest Syria

Families fearful as UN reduces food aid to northwest Syria

Funding constraints and skyrocketing food prices exacerbated by the war in Ukraine have forced the agency to reduce aid.

The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is reducing life-saving food assistance to northwestern Syria from next month, and families say they fear going hungry.

The UN agency has been forced to reduce items in its monthly emergency food basket due to funding constraints and skyrocketing food prices, which have been exacerbated by the war in Ukraine and economic crisis in Syria.

“For northwest Syria this means, starting May 2022, the [food] basket will reduce from 1,300 to 1,170 [kilocalories] per person,” a WFP spokesperson, who asked that their name not be used, told Al Jazeera.

A local aid organisation in the northwest also confirmed to Al Jazeera that the WFP had notified them of the food assistance cuts by email on April 8. The organisation asked to remain unnamed as it was not authorised to comment on the status of UN programmes.

The reduction means that needy families will receive the same amount of vegetable oil, wheat flour, salt, and sugar from the UN agency, but monthly quantities of lentils, chickpeas, rice, and bulgur wheat will be cut back. WFP had previously reduced the monthly food basket in September 2021.

Since the onset of the war in Ukraine, the price of vegetable oil has increased in Syria by 39 percent and wheat flour is up by 10 percent.

“If they eventually stop providing food baskets, we will die of starvation with our children,” said 35-year-old Wassel al-Ghajar, a father of four who is expecting his fifth child next month.

“The food basket would help us get by for much of the month,” he told Al Jazeera.

WFP said in February that 12 million people, 55 percent of the total population, are facing acute food insecurity in Syria, and in January the agency dispatched food and nutrition assistance to an estimated 5.5 million people across all its activities in the country.

About 1.35 million people in northwest Syria benefit from the WFP’s food basket programme.

Due to funding constraints and skyrocketing food prices further exacerbated by the war in Ukraine and economic crisis in Syria, the WFP decided to reduce the size of its monthly food basket as of next month


‘May God help us’


Khaled Abdulrahman has a family of nine and the WFP basket of food assistance provided for most of their food needs for half the month.

As his children played near their makeshift home in the Ahl al-Tah camp for internally displaced people in northern Idlib, Abdulrahman considered ways to provide for his family now that their food supply faces cutbacks.

Collecting scrap is probably the only option, he said.

“To make up for the loss, I guess we will have to go to the dump and pick up aluminium and plastic, or lumber wood,” he told Al Jazeera.

An estimated 97 percent of the four million people in northwest Syria live in poverty. More than half are internally displaced.

A family stands in the Ahl al-Tah camp for internally displaced people in northwest Syria


Compounding multiple hardships, even buying food has become a luxury for most in this opposition enclave.

After the Turkish lira was adopted as the currency of use almost two years ago, the economic crisis that shook Ankara last November has spilled over, sparking fuel and food inflation here in Idlib.

The economic effect of the war in Ukraine has exacerbated the situation.

Many families in Idlib are relying on charity meals this Ramadan to feed their families.

A man bakes bread in northwest Syria


Inside Bilal Alwan’s bakery in Idlib, all appears calm.

But the baker is anxious for his business, and for the families who rely on his bread as costs continue to rise.

The price of bread has doubled, Alwan tells Al Jazeera, explaining that he relies on wheat imported from Turkey, and the price of a tonne of flour has risen from $380 to about $500 since Russia invaded Ukraine in February.

“May God help us,” he says.

“We don’t have alternatives [to Turkey], and we don’t produce enough wheat locally.”

WFP food basket cuts in northwest Syria have left families struggling to cope


Families are already struggling to cope with the hardships.

The WFP told Al Jazeera that almost two-thirds of families in the northwest have cut down on their food intake. Almost half the children have dropped out of school to start work, and a quarter of residents have relied on early marriage to reduce their family size.

“We won’t be able to afford the food to make up for this loss,” said Fteim Al-Rahmoun, who lives with her children and her son’s family. More than 20 people in this large household had benefitted from the WFP’s monthly food basket.

Nervously weighing the food supplies in her pantry in anticipation of next month’s reduced basket, Fteim Al-Rahmoun said she had very little hope for the future.

“We might as well just die,” she told Al Jazeera.

Ali Haj Suleiman reported from Idlib, Syria. Kareem Chehayeb reported from Beirut, Lebanon.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Arab Press
0:00
0:00
Close
Hong Kong Residents Mourn Victims as 1,500 People Relocated After Devastating Tower Fire
Saudi Arabia’s SAMAI Initiative Surpasses One-Million-Citizen Milestone in National AI Upskilling Drive
Saudi Arabia’s Specialty Coffee Market Set to Surge as Demand Soars and New Exhibition Drops in December
Saudi Arabia Moves to Open Two New Alcohol Stores for Foreigners Under Vision 2030 Reform
Saudi Arabia’s AI Ambitions Gain Momentum — but Water, Talent and Infrastructure Pose Major Hurdles
Tensions Surface in Trump-MBS Talks as Saudi Pushes Back on Israel Normalisation
Saudi Arabia Signals Major Maritime Crack-Down on Houthi Routes in Red Sea
Italy and Saudi Arabia Seal Over 20 Strategic Deals at Business Forum in Riyadh
COP30 Ends Without Fossil Fuel Phase-Out as US, Saudi Arabia and Russia Align in Obstruction Role
Saudi-Portuguese Economic Horizons Expand Through Strategic Business Council
DHL Commits $150 Million for Landmark Logistics Hub in Saudi Arabia
Saudi Aramco Weighs Disposals Amid $10 Billion-Plus Asset Sales Discussion
Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince for Major Defence and Investment Agreements
Families Accuse OpenAI of Enabling ‘AI-Driven Delusions’ After Multiple Suicides
Riyadh Metro Records Over One Hundred Million Journeys as Saudi Capital Accelerates Transit Era
Trump’s Grand Saudi Welcome Highlights U.S.–Riyadh Pivot as Israel Watches Warily
U.S. Set to Sell F-35 Jets to Saudi Arabia in Major Strategic Shift
Saudi Arabia Doubles Down on U.S. Partnership in Strategic Move
Saudi Arabia Charts Tech and Nuclear Leap Under Crown Prince’s U.S. Visit
Trump Elevates Saudi Arabia to Major Non-NATO Ally Amid Defense Deal
Trump Elevates Saudi Arabia to Major Non-NATO Ally as MBS Visit Yields Deepened Ties
Iran Appeals to Saudi Arabia to Mediate Restart of U.S. Nuclear Talks
Musk, Barra and Ford Join Trump in Lavish White House Dinner for Saudi Crown Prince
Lawmaker Seeks Declassification of ‘Shocking’ 2019 Call Between Trump and Saudi Crown Prince
US and Saudi Arabia Forge Strategic Defence Pact Featuring F-35 Sale and $1 Trillion Investment Pledge
Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund Emerges as Key Contender in Warner Bros. Discovery Sale
Trump Secures Sweeping U.S.–Saudi Agreements on Jets, Technology and Massive Investment
Detroit CEOs Join White House Dinner as U.S.–Saudi Auto Deal Accelerates
Netanyahu Secures U.S. Assurance That Israel’s Qualitative Military Edge Will Remain Despite Saudi F-35 Deal
Ronaldo Joins Trump and Saudi Crown Prince’s Gala Amid U.S.–Gulf Tech and Investment Surge
U.S.–Saudi Investment Forum Sees U.S. Corporate Titans and Saudi Royalty Forge Billion-Dollar Ties
Elon Musk’s xAI to Deploy 500-Megawatt Saudi Data Centre with State-backed Partner HUMAIN
U.S. Clears Export of Advanced AI Chips to Saudi Arabia and UAE Amid Strategic Tech Partnership
xAI Selects Saudi Data-Centre as First Customer of Nvidia-Backed Humain Project
President Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in Washington Amid Strategic Deal Talks
Saudi Crown Prince to Press Trump for Direct U.S. Role in Ending Sudan War
Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince: Five Key Takeaways from the White House Meeting
Trump Firmly Defends Saudi Crown Prince Over Khashoggi Murder Amid Washington Visit
Trump Backs Saudi Crown Prince Over Khashoggi Killing Amid White House Visit
Trump Publicly Defends Saudi Crown Prince Over Khashoggi Killing During Washington Visit
President Donald Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman at White House to Seal Major Defence and Investment Deals
Saudi Arabia’s Solar Surge Signals Unlikely Shift in Global Oil Powerhouse
Saudi Crown Prince Receives Letter from Iranian President Ahead of U.S. Visit
Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Begins Washington Visit to Cement Long-Term U.S. Alliance
Saudi Crown Prince Meets Trump in Washington to Deepen Defence, AI and Nuclear Ties
Saudi Arabia Accelerates Global Mining Strategy to Build a New Economic Pillar
Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman Arrives in Washington to Reset U.S.–Saudi Strategic Alliance
Saudi-Israeli Normalisation Deal Looms, But Riyadh Insists on Proceeding After Israeli Elections
Saudis Prioritise US Defence Pact and AI Deals, While Israel Normalisation Takes Back Seat
Saudi Crown Prince’s Washington Visit Aims to Advance Defence, AI and Nuclear Cooperation
×